THE NEW YORK LANDMARKS CONSERVANCY HOSTS
30TH ANNUAL CHAIRMAN’S AWARD LUNCHEON
The New York Landmarks Conservancy held its 30th Annual
Chairman’s Award luncheon at The Metropolitan Club in
Manhattan on June 7, 2018. The event recognizes
organizations and individuals who have demonstrated
outstanding dedication to protecting New York’s rich
architectural heritage. This year’s awards went to Andrew
Kimball of Industry City, Rev. Dr. William Lupfer of
Trinity Church Wall Street, and Richard J. Moylan of
Green-Wood. All three clearly demonstrate that historic
buildings can, and do, serve modern needs. It was a highly
successful event, raising nearly $160,000 with more than 200
CEO of Industry City, was
recognized for his role in the transformation of this 1895
facility located on 30 acres on
the Sunset Park waterfront in Brooklyn. It is the largest
adaptive reuse of an industrial campus in the country.
Industry City is Brooklyn’s newest watering hole for foodies
and opportunity enthusiasts. It houses tech and
manufacturing firms, restaurants, retailers, and businesses.
This innovative community is cross-pollinating individuals
who thrive on creativity and idea sharing. The beautifully
crafted project is filled with a 40,000 square–foot Food
Hall, ample courtyard space, an athletic center, parking,
bike racks, and WiredScore Platinum internet connection.
Through the collaboration of ideas and services, Industry
City is challenging the idea of a traditional neighborhood.
Prior to this
position, Mr. Kimball was National Director of Innovation
Economy Initiatives at Jamestown, a national developer
focused on the revitalization of underutilized urban assets.
Before that, Kimball was President and CEO of the Brooklyn
Navy Yard Development Corporation, overseeing the
transformation of the former 1801 naval
ship-building facility into a national model for the
creation of innovative jobs and sustainability. He was also
Director of Operations for NYC2012, the privately-funded bid
to bring the 2012 Olympic Games to New York City, and a Vice
President of the New York Public Library.
The Rev. Dr.
Rector of Trinity Church Wall Street, received a Chairman’s
Award for his continued stewardship of one of the City’s
most important religious sites. Trinity Church and its
affiliated St. Paul’s Chapel, both individual New York City
landmarks, still anchor Lower Manhattan.
St. Paul’s will forever remain in the hearts of New Yorkers
for the solace and comfort it provided first responders in
the aftermath of 9/11. Though the Chapel wasn’t damaged in
the attack, it still needed work. Built in 1764, it
weathered two and a half centuries of wear and tear.
Trinity meticulously restored the Chapel and its churchyard
a few years ago. It received the Landmarks Conservancy’s
Lucy G. Moses Award for Historic Preservation for that
Rev. Lupfer is now embarking on a major renovation of
Trinity’s historic interior. The work will bring back the
original color scheme, restore its stained glass windows,
and upgrade infrastructure systems, among other
improvements. The historic building will also be made ADA
accessible. As with previous efforts, the work will be done
to the highest preservation standards. During the two year
project, the nave will be closed but services will take
place in its All Saints Chapel.
Trinity Church remains an active parish with a rich history.
Today, more than 1,200 members are committed to meeting the
changing needs of the interconnected world.
Richard J. Moylan was honored for his visionary
leadership of historic Green-Wood on the occasion of their
180th anniversary. He is President of Green-Wood
and the Green-Wood Historic Fund and has been associated
with Green-Wood for more than 45 years, beginning his career
as a teen-aged landscaper. He rose through the ranks,
graduated with degrees from Hunter College and New York Law
School, and has been president of Green-Wood since 1986
where he oversees every aspect of its operations. During his
tenure, Green-Wood has opened its gates to more than 250,000
Located in Brooklyn, Green-Wood is one of the
first rural cemeteries constructed in the United States. A
sprawling landscape of nearly 500 acres, Green-Wood has been
recognized as a National Historic Landmark. Once a site of
the Battle of Brooklyn in 1776, Green-Wood is a historic
site of the American Revolution. Thousands of visitors
journey to the site each year to pay homage to its 560,000
permanent residents. Some of those buried include Civil War
veterans, European settlers, the influential artist
Jean-Michel Basquait, and composer Leonard Bernstein.
Green-Wood captures the beauty of landscape, art, and
architecture that define New York City’s history.
In 1999, the Green-Wood Historic Fund was created. This
501(c) 3 not-for-profit membership organization works to
preserve the Cemetery’s sculptures, monuments, and buildings
of historical, cultural, and architectural significance.
Mr. Moylan is also a board member of the National Sculpture
Society, a recipient of the Fine Arts Federation’s highest
honor, and the 2016 Place Maker award of the Foundation for
Fred Bland of Beyer Blinder Belle, Stephen J.
Meringoff of Himmel + Meringoff, and Otis Pearsall of
Arnold & Porter served as Honorary Co-Chairs. Frank J.
Sciame, Jr. of Sciame was the Leadership Committee
The Leadership Committee was comprised of Jeff
Ackerman, Michael Braner, Gale Brewer, Joan K. Davidson,
Michael De Chiara, Barbara and Richard A. Debs, Victoria
Dengel, Kenneth Drucker, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver &
Jacobson, Alfred Gallichio, Elizabeth Goldstein, Green-Wood,
Industry City, Jamestown, Stephen S. Lash, Arthur L. Loeb,
Malcom MacKay, John B. Madden, Joseph Mizzi, Mount Hope
Cemetery Association, Jeff Murphy, Sheila Parekh-Blum,
Virginia R. Parker, Jonathan Plotkin, George Ranalli, Barrie
Ringelheim, Barbara and John Robinson, Marla Sabo, Frances
G. Scaife, Max Schneider, The Shubert Organization, Larry
Silverstein, Ernest M. von Simson, Elizabeth Stribling,
Donald G. Tober, Sandra F. Warshawsky, Carl Weisbrod, Sam
White, and Lloyd P. Zuckerberg.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has led the effort to
preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy
for 45 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has
loaned and granted more than $50 million, which has
leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,550 restoration projects
throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing
economic stimulus, and supporting local jobs. The
Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono
technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit
organizations and individuals. Its work has saved thousands
buildings across the City and State, protecting New York’s
distinctive architectural heritage for residents and
visitors alike today, and for future generations. For more
information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org